Translate

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Do you speak a dialect of English?




Would you say that you speak a dialect of English?  If you answered "No"  to this question, you may want to continue reading!

Let's first consider the word "dialect."  Is it as prestigious as the word "language"?  Do we sometimes put the words "just a ..." in front of the word dialect?   Does "dialect" conjure up images of unacceptable grammar forms, unusual vocabulary, and unintelligible pronunciations in your mind?

To linguists, "dialect"  has the same meaning as "variety."  And variety doesn't carry the negative baggage that "dialect"  does.  The truth of the matter is that all English speakers use a dialect (variety) of English.  Yes, even you!

No one speaks an idealized Standard English all the time. If we are very careful in our speech, we can probably produce a spoken English sentence with neutral pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary.  But when we speak normally, we show variations in our language.


We may reveal the region of the English speaking world we grew up in.  My dialect of English identifies me as having grown up in Texas, but on the border with Mexico in an English-Spanish bilingual atmosphere.. My British friends complain of my Texas drawl, and my Texas friends accuse me of being too precise in my pronunciation and sounding British! What's a person to do?

Here is a YouTube video that you may enjoy about a person speaking in 21 different English accents.
I also reveal my rural upbringing on a cotton farm by occasionally calling the refrigerator an "ice box."  I would never ask the salesperson in an appliance store to show me an "ice box,"  but I might say to my husband, "Did you remember to put the milk back in the ice box?"

Almost every time I open my mouth to speak, I also reveal the generation I am a member of.   I try to follow current language trends in order not to appear so old-fashioned by choosing words such as  "actually," "random," and "streaming."  But all too often I come out with terms like "beauty shop", "five and dime," and "printer ribbon" (Yes, I really did request a ribbon instead of a cartridge at Office Depot.  Very embarrassing!)



Differences in male-female speech are still being studied by linguists.   In my English dialect can be found traces of some features that have traditionally been considered typical  of female speech. I often add tag questions to the end of statements.  For example, I would probably say, "Nice weather we are having, aren't we?"   My language is not peppered with obscenities (except when they are truly needed to express my consternation over a situation!)  But I could never say, "It sucks."  And I do watch my grammar, trying to get "lie" and "lay" used correctly and adding -"ly" to my adverbs, as in "Let's say it differently" rather than "Let's say it different."


I hope that after considering various factors in language variation,  you now feel more comfortable in admitting that you speak (and everyone else speaks) a dialect of English.  Of course, we all know that our dialect is the best English  :)


2 comments:

  1. As I think I mentioned before, I still use words that may seem outdated: cool! neat! good gracious! awesome! nifty! But not as bad--if bad--as groovey or bitc--- or suck as you said. Funny how our brains choose words that seem the most appropriate or specific. But I also want to add that knowing two languages also has its advantages. Sometimes a word in English just doesn't capture what I am wanting to say as well as a Spanish word. "Chiple" is so useful; "lepe"; and others that are not coming to mind at this moment. I think you know how that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really fortunate to be bilingual. Did you know that bilinguals, and especially early bilinguals, have more brain capacity? Awesome, right?

    ReplyDelete