Translate

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Can Introverts be Good Language Acquirers?


Today I participated in a webinar with the somewhat intimidating title of "The Radically Common Phenomena Called Language:  How the human mind creates and acquires it,"* featuring the well-known applied linguist John De Mado.  It was great.  I could have chosen to sit in front of the computer in my robe and slippers sipping a fresh cup of coffee, but I wasn't completely sure that I wouldn't be required to use my webcam to participate.  (Has anyone figured out how to look halfway decent using a webcam?) But the webinar was all audio, so I was pleased to be able to relax and learn more about language acquisition.

As John De Mado discussed three main personality traits that are helpful for acquiring language, I started to squirm in my chair.  The first trait is Risk-Taking.  To acquire language, you have to talk to people - lots of people, the more the better.  He pointed out that it takes a lot of nerve for a non-native speaker to strike up a conversation with a native speaker, who is by definition much more in control of vocabulary, grammar and accent.

The second trait is Vulnerability.  A language acquirer must be able to be vulnerable enough to make errors - lots of errors, because there is no way to acquire language without them. If we clam up at the first wrong word choice, incorrect verb ending, or botched pronunciation, all is lost. We will not make progress toward our goal of acquiring a second language.

So why was I squirming in my chair?  It is because I am an introvert, and introverts have lots of trouble complying with the first two traits! Now in case you belong to the two-thirds of Americans who are classified as extroverts, you may not understand an introvert's world. The best way I can describe it is that if you and I were Energizer Bunnies, after a long conversation the extroverted bunny would feel charged up and ready to go.  The introverted bunny would be very, very tired and need some alone time to recharge.  So introverts are going to be especially reluctant to take a risk and strike up a conversation, especially in another language.










Now that you may be viewing the world through the eyes of an introvert, you can imagine how making an error in another language is not what an introvert wants to do. Communication in itself makes an introvert vulnerable to the world.  And not being understood because you have made a mistake!  Horrors!  Where's my shell to hide under?








Thank goodness the third personality trait mentioned by John De Mado is Intuition.  In order to understand what other people are saying to us (even in our native language), we have to filter what they say through our own knowledge and perceptions. People are often communicating much more than their actual words would indicate.  I can do this!  I am a good listener!  At last, something an introvert can do well!




So, can introverts be good language acquirers?  Yes, we can choose to be with a little pre-planning. My goals are: force myself to talk to more people in more different circumstances but allow myself a nice, long recharging time afterward;  if I am obsessing about the errors I made, write them down and think what I would have said differently; rejoice in the fact that I can pick up communication clues because I prefer to listen rather than talk.

Hmm.  Perhaps I'll sign up for an online language program where I would have conversations with a real native speaker.  At least I could log off quickly if things get uncomfortable!


*Webinar courtesy of Association of College and Research Libraries and Mángo Languages.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment