Translate

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Do these holiday words jingle your bells?

The December holidays are upon us.  Colder weather, Christmas music in stores, Starbucks' eggnog lattes.  And we begin using special holiday words that bring a rush of perhaps buried thoughts and emotions.  When, except for the winter holiday season, are the words 'ornaments', 'garland', and 'carols',  heard in everyday conversations?  Here are some of my favorite holiday words and expressions.




The term "sleigh ride" always takes my mind to snowy climates, very unlike the warm Southwest desert that is my home. On my imaginary sleigh ride, I can feel "Jack Frost nipping at my toes," hear the snow crunch beneath my boots, and see a sleigh piled high with furry blankets. The driver beckons for us to climb in, clicks the reins, calls to the horses, and passes back a thermos steaming with a heady concoction. We are off on trails through a snowy forest, and, yes, the bells are jingling.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that the one sleigh ride I have taken in my life was not quite like my dream ride.  I have two vivid memories.  One was that my snow suit was so tight from holiday overeating that I couldn't lift my leg onto the sleigh and had to be hauled up by helpful hands. Very embarrassing!  The other memory was of suffering in the frigid weather.  Brrrr.







Two other words that are heard frequently during the holidays are 'eggnog'



and 'fruitcake'.









A mention of either of these words often elicits a groan from guests, but don't you think these special holiday treats just sound festive?  What is amusing about eggnog is that recipes abound encouraging us to reduce the sugar content, cut the fat content, and prepare a gluten-free version. Why bother? Why not drink the sweet, rich concoction once a year and plan to eat healthy until Easter?

And fruitcake may have an even worse reputation than eggnog.  





But would you really want to go through the holidays without nibbling on one small slice of fruitcake?

Yet another expression that is associated with the holiday season is 'nativity scene'.  Nativity scenes are a depiction of the birth of Jesus in a stable, with Mary and Joseph, and often Wise Men, shepherds and sheep.  Nativities range from live scenes with human actors, to huge life size statues, to tabletop displays, to tiny nativity scenes.  All bring a reminder of the original meaning of the Christmas season.      



Nativity scenes always bring with them a touch of guilt for me.  Years ago I bought my first nativity scene at a five-and-dime store.  For years afterward, I collected nativity scenes of all imaginable origins, colors, shapes and configurations. And kind people would gift me nativity scenes.  My Christmas storage closet is now packed to overflowing with nativity scenes which I am too lazy to unpack and display.  Maybe I will locate just that one original nativity at the bottom of the box and put it on display this season.... 





No comments:

Post a Comment