Translate

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Preparing my ears for a trip to Ireland



Six weeks from now, I will be in Dublin, Ireland with my husband, Wayne, beginning a two-week tour of our own devising.  The long weekend we spent in Dublin several years ago only whetted our appetites for more.  Wayne fell in love with Eggs Benedict at Wynn's Hotel in central Dublin, and I fell in love with Irish English, so pleasing to the ear.

For this trip, I wanted to prepare myself a little better linguistically.  Google provided multiple sites with lists of Irish vocabulary and expressions.  Many were slang expressions, which we probably won't be hearing or using, but I wanted to focus on a few useful terms to help in our travels around Ireland.






As I read through the lists, I was surprised to find expressions I had heard growing up in a family with Southern roots.  These expressions didn't sound foreign to me at all!

"This dinner is taking ages."  (a long time)
"rare as hen's teeth" (very hard to find)
"doing the washing" (laundry)
"Who all's there?"  (Who is present?)
"conked out" (car stalls or stops suddenly)
"poormouthing" (lamenting lack of money when you actually have plenty)
"belly up" (unsuccessful)

Other Irish English words and expressions were familiar from our travels to the United Kingdom.  All I needed was a review.  We will be renting a car in Ireland, so  "boot" (trunk) and "petrol" (gasoline) are good words to remember.  Potato chips are "crisps," and French fries are "chips."  (An essential food group!)  A fish and chips shop is a "chipper" or a "chippie."    I will need to take a "jumper" (sweater) for the chillier Irish May weather. A"Yank" is an American, from anywhere in the U.S.

Eventually though, I began discovering Irish-English terms that are new to me and that will be useful on our trip.  Very important, of course, is how to locate the restrooms.  In Ireland, one says "toilet" or "jacks."  The doors are marked "fir jacks" (men) and "ban jacks" (women). And let's hope we don't have anything but pleasant relations with the "garda" or "guards" ( Irish policemen).

I'll have to remember that "dinner" refers to "lunch" when making plans for meals.  And that "mineral" is another word for "soft drink."   Also, "sambo" is a sandwich.  If I am in a store, the shopkeeper may greet me with "now."  And I may need to recognize a slang word for euro, "yoyo."  I understand that "cat' may be used to describe something bad or terrible, which I will take great exception to out of respect for Bitsy, our house cat, and her five feral cousins outdoors. Finally, if a lodging is described as "homely," I will know that it is homey and cozy, not ugly!

Finally,  two words kept coming up in every Irish language site I visited, "sláinte" and "craic."  The first is a toast, "to your health," and the second refers to fun or good times.  I found several different pronunciations for "sláinte," so I plan to listen very closely to fellow patrons on pub visits.




The pronunciation of "craic" is close enough to English "crack" to give unsuspecting tourists a start.

Needless to say, I'll be doing field work on Irish English and taking copious linguistic notes to write a follow up blog in May.  That is, if I can find time amongst all the "craic"  I hope to have in Ireland.





No comments:

Post a Comment