Translate

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

You'd Think I'd Know How to Acquire a Language by Now!



A recent email message from a longtime friend caused my head to start whirling.  "I would like to pick your brain about learning Chinese."  We are meeting up for a short visit soon, and I know the topic will come up.

Yes, my field of study is languages.  Yes, I am a big fan of Linguistics.  Yes, I taught a foreign language, either Spanish or  Portuguese for many years.  But do I have the best advice to give someone who wants to learn another language, especially a good friend whom I don't want to lead astray?  I'm embarrassed to say I don't have a definitive answer.


I suppose I will begin our conversation with a description of the Communicative Approach.  This popular approach to learning a language emphasizes communication in the language (listening, speaking, reading and writing, not necessarily in that order) over learning and practicing grammar rules.  "Heresy!" many will cry.  "I want to speak correctly, not sound like a Tarzan-Jane conversation." 


It is so very difficult to convince language learners, especially well-educated adults, that communication should come first, followed perhaps by some targeted grammar study, not vice versa. The optimal mix of communicative skills and grammar is still being (passionately!) debated in the language profession.  But, my friend wants to learn Chinese NOW.






I think my first question to her would be, "What do you want to be able to do in Chinese?"  Most of us set our goals for language learning too high and expect quick results.  I wish learning a language could be as doable as learning a new software program - difficult but achievable.  I even wish I could equate learning a language to learning how to use the iPad (could it be going on a year and a half that I have been trying to make friends with that device?)  But deciding to become fully proficient in a new language under ordinary circumstances is a lifelong task.  It is a commitment only equaled to feeding the stray cat who begs for food at the back door.  As much as I applaud both activities, you may find that you have bitten off more than you can chew.

So, how about breaking down the nebulous goal of learning a language into doable steps, the more specific the better?  Maybe I'll ask my friend questions like the following.   Is there one language skill you want to concentrate on first?  Do you want to travel to China and hold simple conversations with native speakers? Do you want to read Chinese signs?  Would you like to start an Internet conversation with a native speaker? How long are you giving yourself to achieve a specific goal?  How will you know when you reach it?    We might make a start in helping her develop a Chinese language learning plan.

Let's see how the language learning conversation with my dear friend goes.  Tune in next week for an update! 


4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I was trying to find your email to send you a link to an article from the El Paso Times about Translating or more the Lost in Translation. I thought you may like to read the article, if you already haven't.
    http://www.elpasotimes.com/latestnews/ci_24896373/obamacares-spanish-website-poorly-translated-critics-say

    Erika D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Erika,

      Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been out of town. Thanks so much for link. I haven't read that article but it looks interesting. Sloppy translations have always worried me!

      You can always reach me on Blogger or lcalk@nmsu.edu.

      Thanks,

      Linda Calk

      Delete
  2. Hi Linda,
    Great blog you have here! I completely agree that learning a language should begin with communication and lead to more in depth grammar afterwards. It helps learners feel accomplished and gives them the motivation to continue to study!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for comment, Lacy. I've had so much fun with other languages that I want others to experience the same excitement. Which languages have you acquired?

    ReplyDelete