Translate

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Saying What You Really Mean

Do you usually say exactly what you mean?  I'll bet your first response was "Of course I do. Doesn't everyone?"  Let's look at some examples of real language used in specific situations that may change your mind.





On a recent trip to Los Angeles, California, a group of us were dining at an upscale restaurant near The Grove.  (At least the menu prices hinted that this was a location for finer dining.)  My friend Mary, visiting from London, had a good laugh when the waitress appeared at her shoulder at the end of our meal and asked, "Are you still enjoying your dinner?"  You could surmise, of course, as Mary did, that the waitress was just checking to see if Mary was through with her meal, in which case the waitress would no doubt immediately have whisked her plate away . But the question had many possible interpretations and answers.  "No, the food tasted better before I got heartburn";  "Yes, the guacamole has just the right touch of spice";   "No, the music is too loud and the room is too hot" all come to mind.  But of course the waitress could have said more directly, "May I remove your plate?"







Many years ago, when I was grade school age, my mother and I religiously watched Perry Mason on television.  He was handsome, suave, and in control of every situation. During one episode, Perry Mason needed to have a private conversation with a client, so he turned to his secretary, Della Street, and asked, "May I impose?"   Della knew her boss well enough that she was able to interpret his question as a request for her to leave the room.  My mother and I had a good laugh and decided that we wouldn't have been quite so discerning.







Married couples are particularly adept at not expressing themselves in a direct manner.  And my husband of 32 years and I are no exception.  When he says, " I just saw the postman pass by,"  it  means he wants me to be the one to walk out to the mailbox and retrieve the mail.  If I say, "I've got work to do this evening." it is breaking the bad news to him gently that I won't be preparing supper.   


I'm sure by now you are thinking of many instances in your life of use of indirect language.  We often choose not to speak directly because we want to soften our expression, or appear more polite, or feel more comfortable suggesting rather than demanding.  It is part of our American culture.  


But have you ever considered the effort  it takes to understand others (or for others to understand us) when language is not direct?  We can't take the actual words at face value.  We have to go beyond the words expressed and add information from our own minds to correctly interpret indirect language. Cultural information, personal information, familiarity with the situation, location, and a good dose of common sense are all useful in interpreting language.  And we all do the necessary interpretation naturally until there is a misunderstanding.  If you have ever tried to learn a foreign language, you know that the words that you hear are often not what the person meant for you to understand.


The field of Linguistics has a term for the study of language in real contexts.  It is Pragmatics.  (Linguists spend a good deal of time, I think, thinking up esoteric terms that normal people don't understand immediately !)


Let me know if this brief discussion of use of language in context brings to mind any misunderstandings that you have experienced because of use of indirect language.  Those situations are often good for a hearty laugh!










2 comments:

  1. Okay, I must comment here. When I say to my husband, "I'm cold," he says,so you want me to bring you something warm. Or, "Are you hungry" he says, so you want me to feed you now. He calls that passive aggressive! He says I am trying to manipulate him! I get very frustrated when he says that. Maybe I am the crazy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for comment! Lots to talk about here! I'm no marriage counselor, but I do realize that language use can deeply affect relationships!

    I think that some people appreciate and respond to more indirect language, but others need more direct communication to feel comfortable. I've had students tell me that a relationship with a significant other improved when they were more specific with their requests. So instead of "I'm cold," perhaps "Let's turn up the heat" would facilitate communication. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete