Translate

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Do some words bug you?




If the truth be known, most of us have an internal list of words that we don't want other people to use. When we hear certain words, we get a slightly unpleasant feeling.  And we wouldn't be caught dead using those words ourselves.

I'm not talking about the usual suspects, curse words like the F bomb or racial or gender slurs.  I mean just words that people use in everyday conversations.

Here is my list.  I do really dislike "suck" and its adjective "sucky."  Too much like the F bomb maybe?  I think "crap" is an ugly word.  Putting aside what it refers to literally, I find the very sound of the word unpleasant.  And to describe someone with an uptight personality as "anal" is just a little too graphic for me. I also dislike hearing a woman expecting a child referred to as "preggers."  I have never heard a female use that derivative of "pregnant."  Somehow "preggers" carries a whiff of machismo.    

My list goes on.  The expanded uses of "literally" and "actually" are starting to bug me.  They are ubiquitous. I'm probably fighting a losing battle here.  These two adverbs may be serving as intensifiers used to strengthen expressions. "The salesman was literally falling all over himself to help us."  (He was very anxious to help us.)   "Are you planning to go to the party?  "Well, actually, I bought a new outfit to wear."  (I'm greatly anticipating the party.)







I'm becoming a bit weary of everything from the Grand Canyon to the new green chile cheeseburger in town being described as "awesome."  But I realize we have a great need for superlatives in our language.  I am all for putting a positive spin on life, but a fresh, new adjective would be appreciated.

Another expression that catches my attention is "price point."  Yes, I have probably been watching too many episodes of "House Hunters" on HGTV, but why is "price point" better than "price"?  That million dollar vacation home in the Caribbean is still going to cost the same.          

Whew!  I'm exhausted with all of this complaining about language.  And me a person who fancies herself a linguist, interested in language for language's sake!

But misery loves company.  I would enjoy hearing about words that bother other English speakers. And I hope I haven't used any of your forbidden words in this blog post!


1 comment:

  1. Ha! Nice post! I hate it when people say "utilize" instead of "use". They think it makes them sound smarter. I think it makes them sound annoying.

    ReplyDelete