Translate

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Creative expressions from the tech field



Can you believe that in mid-2009, the millionth word arrived in the English language?  Just how many words does one language need, you may well ask.  But like them or hate them, neologisms (a linguistic term for newly coined words) are all part of the ever-changing phenomenon that is language.

 I  am fascinated when I hear a new word, even if I choose not to add that word to my vocabulary. After all, a person of a certain age using words more suited for a newer generation may appear  as ridiculous as if they were sporting purple spiked hair and tats (tattoos to the uninformed).

Here are some of the new words and expressions that I have come upon recently from the field of technology.  Some have brought a smile to my face; others have given a name to an experience I have had; still others have made me think about changes in our society.

HACK.  I thought hacking and hackers were negative terms.  Aren't hackers often gaining illegal entry into computer systems and causing chaos and mayhem these days (like to Target shoppers?)? Recently though, I have noticed the term "hack" being used as a synonym for a tip or bit of advice, something to make life easier.  Sounds like something pretty positive to me.

    

TIP OF MY THUMB.  Linguists analyze "tip of the tongue" experiences in order to make predictions about how language is stored in the brain.  A little play on words results in  "tip of the thumb" experiences where you almost type something in a text message that you then think better of.  I haven't learned yet to text with my thumbs, but the expression brings a smile to my face.



GAMIFICATION.  My favorite web-based language learning tool is Duolingo.  And it is my favorite because it has been gamified, that is, constructed with some of the elements of a video game. Since video games were not part of my teenage years, I'm having fun playing with language and learning language at the same time.  Duolingo is so much more engrossing than memorizing those old-fashioned verb conjugations!

Duolingo Owl

BIGDATED.  Despite the fact that my son informs me that the concept of big data is widely misunderstood, I still think the invented term "bigdated" is useful for describing a common phenomenon - our interests expressed online being turned into ads by the Internet. How did someone know I was planning a trip to Scotland, I wonder?  Or that I may need to attend to crow's feet around my eyes? Some may find this practice intrusive. I  just consider it part of modern life.




CROWDSOURCING.  I like this term because the Internet has presented a new possibility in life to us.  Crowdsourcing refers to the generation of support and cooperation (including financial) for projects through the Internet.  The concept of strangers helping other strangers appeals to my sense of idealism.  I like the idea of cooperation on a gigantic scale that would not have been possible twenty years ago.




Are there new tech terms that have caught your eye?  Let's discuss! 

No comments:

Post a Comment