Translate

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Language learning may change your brain and personality!

Yet another article touting the benefits of language learning caught my eye recently,  How to learn 30 languages by David Robson on BBC.com. He states that language learning is "arguably the best brain training you can try." Since I  enjoy the process of studying languages anyway, it is heartening to think that I am also giving my brain what Robson describes as a "tough mental workout." I may be strengthening attention and memory and even delaying the onset of dementia.



Another key idea is that of multiple languages providing learners with "a new cultural skin." You may have experienced the sensation of adopting a new identity when you speak another language.  I certainly have, but only with certain languages.



When I speak Spanish rather than my native English, I soften my expression to be more polite. I find that I invade others' personal space by giving more abrazos to my speaking companions. ( Abrazo is translated into English as "hug" or "embrace," but I would never give a hug to someone I just met when speaking English; however, I might give an abrazo in the same situation when speaking Spanish.)  My expression is less abrupt in Spanish; for example, I  answer questions in English with a "yeah," or an "uh-uh", while in Spanish, I might say "Sí, ¿cómo no? (yes, of course), or "No, gracias" (no, thanks)




The Portuguese language has an even more noticeable effect on my reticent personality.  I love to speak Portuguese. The sounds are pleasing to the ear, and I can produce all Portuguese sounds with some resemblance to the original.   The grammar is playful.  Can grammar really be described as playful?  I think so.  I enjoy leaving out the word "it" when not required for meaning, as in the response, "Tenho, sim." (Yes, I have it).  I think it is cool to have a special subjunctive tense to express future doubt.  "If I speak Portuguese" becomes "Se eu falar português," and it feels like I have gotten away with not conjugating the ver "falar." Yes, a bit geeky, I'll admit.



When I speak Portuguese, memories of when and how I first learned Portuguese come to mind.  For a few minutes at least, I can again be a young language teacher on an NEH-sponsored trip to Brazil to learn Portuguese.  I can buy a morning café com leite (coffee with milk) from the nuns at a small stand in front of the university.  And I can smile at the Brazilian immigration officer who remarked that I spoke pretty good Portuguese as I was leaving the country. 






The two other languages I work on every day, French and Irish Gaelic, are mainly for brain training. I never expect to be fluent in either language, but I enjoy the challenge on Duolingo of analyzing how these two somewhat complex languages express meaning.





So, thanks to the BBC article for helping me justify the amount of time and energy I spend on language learning. I have high hopes that my brain and personality are changing for the better with each passing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment