Translate

Thursday, June 22, 2017

I bought an Irish Dictionary. Now what?



I couldn't resist buying an Irish dictionary in a gift shop on the road from Galway to Clifden, in the Connemara Region of Ireland.   My husband, Wayne, and I were on an unforgettable road
trip in Ireland, and our spirits were soaring.




The clerk at checkout looked at my purchase and said, ""Ah, you'll have to come back in a couple of years and tell me how you are doing with Irish." How many such dictionaries had he sold to enthusiastic tourists with similar high hopes of learning to speak Irish?  

I told him I had already been studying Irish for about two years on a regular basis.  Granted, the study is on my favorite online language learning program, Duolingo, for probably less than fifteen minutes a day (I study other languages as well), but I wanted him to know that I was well aware of the complexities of the Irish language.

The sheep outside the gift shop paid no attention to us as we hopped in our rental car, stored our purchases,  and headed to Clifden.




Now I am back home in the States with my Irish dictionary joining other foreign language dictionaries between the bookends on my desk.  Will this new addition help me make progress in Irish?  Hope springs eternal in the language learner's heart.

I wish I could honestly say that I am going to examine in detail the dictionary section on phonetics (pronunciation).  Even with a degree in Linguistics, the charts with Irish letters, IPA symbols, Irish examples, and nearest English equivalents look formidable.  But since the Irish sound system has proven elusive to me so far, maybe I should take a closer look at the charts and learn a few sounds a day.  That's doable, right?

The Irish-English, English-Irish word entries look more promising. 30,000 words are included, many with usage examples.  The entries also include a phonetic pronunciation guide.  Ah, that phonetic chart I was dissing in the paragraph above may be useful after all.




At the back of the dictionary are tables for regular and irregular verbs, sure to strike fear into the hearts of language learners.  I can still remember being required to conjugate pages and pages of Spanish verbs in my very traditional high school language class.  Through the years, I have come to believe that verbs are best learned in context, not in verb tables. But I suppose having verb tables readily available can serve as a useful reference.

As I picked up the Irish dictionary for the first time the very straightforward lists of geographical names and languages caught my eye.  Búdaipeist, Iostanbúl, Lucsamburg were all comforting by their familiarity.  And it was fun to identify the languages I study—Spáinnis, Portaingéilis, Fraincis, Iodáilis (Italian), Rómáinis (Romanian), Breatnais (Welsh) and Gaeilge (Irish).

And finally, perhaps best of all, the dictionary lists four useful web sites as linguistic resources, one which promises "full pronunciation guide with sound files."  I can certainly use those!

Despite my moaning and groaning, being a beginning Irish language learner has been an exciting challenge.  I'll probably never be able to strike up a friendly conversation in a pub with an Irish speaker, 



but just experiencing a language very different from English, my native language, has been satisfying. 

I hope in several years, when we return to Ireland, that my Foclóir Póca (Irish Dictionary) is well-thumbed and annotated with my notes in the margins.  And maybe I can return to that gift shop and dazzle the clerk with a short conversation in Irish.  Wouldn't he be surprised?


















1 comment:

  1. She never ceases to amaze me with her language aquisition!

    ReplyDelete